Crafty Betty

Project 69 of 365: Eggplant Wedding August 6, 2010

I cannot believe that it is Friday already!  Where did the week go???  Oh yeah…it probably went to the brilliantly “simple” home improvement ideas I had on Tuesday.  If my husband knew what was good for him (and our bank account) he would post a picture of me by every cashier at Home Depot with a note saying DO NOT LET THIS WOMAN BUY ANY HOME IMPROVEMENT ITEMS.  LOL!!!

I think every time I step into a home improvement store I suddenly snap into this overly optimistic mood, and have delusions of my actual home improvement ideas.  Or, just to move some of the blame off myself, maybe I should sue all companies that put instructions on the back of their projects making it sound “so simple” or  “no fail.”  I think that my crafting spirit somehow believes that it can magically transform into “Super Handywoman,” because everytime I get to the store I am 100% confident that I can fix this or that all by myself, yet somehow it never quite works out the way I envisioned.

At Home Depot I purchased $80 worth of items to fix 5 issues in the house.  I was so proud of myself, and already preparing how I was going to WOW all of you with all that could be done with that money, but alas only 2 of those projects are complete (and one of those I’m still not so sure about.)

The biggest disaster was caulking the bathtub.  I tackled this first as it should have been a 30 minute job max.  We have been having problems with re-caulking the tub.  For whatever reason no caulk wants to stick, and it just peels off as soon as it gets wet (and yes we have been following the directions.)  Caulking the tub was supposed to be a surprise to Mike when he got home from work.  After all its not rocket science.  I asked the Home Depot guy what to do about the issue, and he showed me some caulk remover (as maybe the new caulk wasn’t sticking because there was too much old stuff left behind) and he picked out a caulk for me.

Our house gave me yet another surprise….When I decided I would make sure I got all the old caulk out I found yet another SNEAKY surprise left by the previous owner.  The caulk was up to 2 inches thick, and once I got to the end of that I could stick the plastic knife I was using 3-4 inches in before it was stopped by anything.  There was nothing behind the lowest level of tiles????  I was starting to get scared that the whole wall would collapse if I pulled out all the caulk…not to mention how much caulk was actually falling down inside the gaping hole between the tub the wall and the tile.  Why can’t Holmes on Homes come to Wisconsin?  Our house would be a real treat!!

So once I got all the caulk out I was left with the mystery of what to do about the hole.  In the end I realized it doesn’t make sense to over do this as we are going to have Bathfitters come in next year (hopefully) to install a tub and surround around our current tub….as much as I love the idea of real tile we have to go with what we can afford 😦  So I start pushing caulk back in the opening, and run out of caulk before finishing (since I wasn’t expecting the big hole), and now Home Depot is closed.  I was so upset, that after working on my 30 min project for over 5 hours I was basically going to have to start over the next day after I got more caulk because, the way I understand it, to get a proper seal I don’t think you can let half of it dry and then finish the rest???

Well….the next day I decided not to pull the caulk back up and start over, because I had stuffed it pretty far back in the space between the tub and tile, and instead start where I left off with the new caulk, and then when I had caulk all the way around I went back around with a thin coat all the way around.  It looks much better now, but until I take a shower after writing this article, I won’t know if it did the trick…

This was just WAY more difficult than it was supposed to be!!

As for the adventures with the rest of the home improvements I will add them to later posts.

On to something that did work out as planned….

This is the card I made for a wedding Mike and I attended last Saturday.  The colors used on this card are inspired by the colors used on their invitation.

Project 69 of 365: Eggplant Wedding

69 of 365

69 of 365: Eggplant Wedding

Supplies:

Paper:

  • Whisper White
  • Elegant Eggplant
  • Pear Pizzazz
  • Old Olive DSP (didn’t have Pear Pizzazz)

Ink:

  • Versamark
  • Elegant Eggplant
  • Pear Pizzazz

Stamps:

  • For the Bride
  • Bella Toile
  • Very Versatile
  • Vintage Vogue

Accessories:

  • Satin Ribbon
  • Pearls
  • White Emboss Powder

Check back for more projects and Home Improvement Thrills 🙂

StampinBetty

Advertisements
 

One Response to “Project 69 of 365: Eggplant Wedding”

  1. Rebecca W Says:

    Love this. Great colors, and wedding theme, you know how I’m a sucker for that. hehe


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s